Historic Elmwood Cemetery & Foundation

Historic Elmwood Cemetery & Foundation

Where Detroit's History Endures
chapel_banner.jpg

Historic Elmwood Cemetery is the oldest continuously operating, non-denominational cemetery in Michigan. The cemetery was established in 1846 and incorporated in 1849 as a non-profit corporation by an act of the Michigan Legislature. Founded by some of early Detroit’s leading citizens, Elmwood quickly expanded from its original 42 acres to its current size of 86 acres and became the final resting-place of tycoon and laborer alike.

Learn more today!

NTF L Sig colorElmwood Recognized as a Significant Site for the National Underground Railroad Network to Freedom
Elmwood Cemetery has been recognized as a significant site for the National Underground Railroad Network to Freedom.  The National Park Service has recognized Elmwood for making a significant contribution to the understanding of the Underground Railroad in American History and issued Elmwood a Certificate of Appreciation.  Read more...

 

Elmwood Cemetery is Detroit’s First Certified Arboretum!
Morton Arboretum and the ArbNet Arboretum Accreditation Program certified Elmwood Cemetery's arboretum with a Level 1 Accreditation.   Read more...

The Elmwood Family of Cemeteries

  Glenwood Cemetery Logo Glenwood Cemetery Logo Greenwood Logo Birchwood Logo RGB GELMP Logo RGB


 

Elmwood Home Grounds2