Elmwood Cemetery and Glenwood Cemetery entered into a management agreement in June 2014 under which Elmwood Cemetery would manage the interments, grounds and records of historic Glenwood Cemetery in Flint Michigan.
Founded in 1857, Glenwood was listed on the Michigan Register of Historic Places in 1989 and the National Register of Historic Places in 2010. A tour of Glenwood reveals its spectacular funerary art and architecture along with the names of citizens who made Flint great, including: lumber barons, civil war veterans, two Governors, one Lt. Governor and pioneers of the carriage and automobile industries. This would include philanthropist, businessman and Mayor Charles Stewart Mott, James Whiting, Arthur Bishop, Governor Josiah Begole, William Ballenger, Sr., Governor Henry Crapo, Mayor Grant Decker, Flint’s Mr. Aviation - Samuel Stewart, Sr., among many other influential people.
Each summer, Glenwood is proud to host “Back to Glenwood” which is a fun day at Glenwood with actors in period costumes taking on the roles of many Flint’s deceased notables.
Click here to link to Glenwood Cemetery’s website, www.glenwoodhistoricalcemetery.org .