William S. Green
Born in Boston, Massachusetts, Green was a prominent Detroit real estate developer, banker and financier for 50 years. He was one of the founders of the Wayne County Savings Bank and of the Peoples Wayne County Bank. He was also a director of the Michigan Mutual Insurance Company. Green was extensively involved in Masonic activities and was a member from 1867 until his death in 1929. General Green and his wife, Katie, had two daughters.
Green enlisted in the 11th Massachusetts Light Artillery as a private at the age of 16. He took part in many engagements with the Army of the Potomac and was among the troops at Appomattox. Shortly after he was mustered out of service, he came to Detroit and, during the administration of Governor John F. Rich, he was commissioned Brigadier General and given command of the Michigan Militia. He was a charter member and commander of Detroit Grand Army of the Republic Post #384.
Born: January 11, 1846
Died: September 21, 1929
Buried: Section M, Lot E